We encourage students and alumnae/i who are searching for internships and jobs, or who are interviewing for admission into competitive graduate & professional programs or fellowships, to consider making a Mock Interview appointment with one of our Career Counselors. Mock interviews are a fantastic way to both practice and receive feedback in a safe, supportive environment.
A mock interview will help you:
- Know what to expect on a real interview
- Learn effective ways to answer different types of questions
- Become more comfortable and confident during interviews
- Have successful real interviews
Steps for arranging a mock interview:
- Choose a position-of-interest to focus on during your interview, which is usually an internship, job, scholarship finalist award or seat in a grad/professional program. You do not need to have an interview lined up to participate in a mock interview; if you would prefer to just do a general mock interview to begin getting comfortable with interviewing you can do that as well.
- Stop by or call our office at (845) 437-5285 to schedule a 1-hour mock interview appointment.
- Email a copy of your resume, along with a description of your position-of-interest (if relevant) to the counselor you are scheduled to meet with, at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment. If you are practicing for a graduate or professional school interview, try to include your personal statement with the materials you provide.
- Before your mock interview, review your resume and research the employer or graduate program. Please prepare for this interview as you would a real interview.
- We encourage you to dress up for the mock interview just as they would for the actual interview.
There are also websites that allow you to practice interviewing. For example: