Job Search Tips
Create a resume that reflects your skills and tailor it to each job application. Stop by the CDO to have your resume and cover letters critiqued by a Career Assistant or Career Counselor.
Stay organized throughout your job search. Keep track of application dates, materials required, networking contacts, etc. Consider setting up separate file folders on your computer for each job you apply to that contain: the job description, the resume and cover letter you used to apply to that specific job, and any additional materials related to that application.
- Network, network, network! Connect with others -- the job search process requires you to be engaged! Anytime you are preparing to apply for a position check the Alumae/i Network and LinkedIn to see if a Vassar network exists to that specific company/organization.
- Use multiple job search methods. Watch for employers/organizations that are coming to campus, participate in Off-Campus or Virtual Recruiting events, use Handshake (Vassar College's job and internship listings), and engage with Vassar College alumnae/i through networking channels.
- Research employers/organizations prior to applying so you can demonstrate that you are a good fit for them.
- Break down your job search into small tasks that are more doable and less overwhelming.
- Budget your money wisely and prepare for expenses. Long-distance phone calls, airline tickets, an interview suit, resume paper, postage - all these expenses can add up quickly!
- Get support! Visit the CDO or call 845-437-5285 to schedule an appointment to work closely with a Career Counselor throughout your job search process.