Parents and Families
Welcome, Parents and Families!
Please join us in a partnership that helps Vassar students make that challenging transition from college to career. Your experience, credibility, and advice are invaluable as complements to the programs, services, and resources offered here on campus. We would love to have you on our team.
What We Offer Your Student
- Individualized Advising
- Self-assessments and career exploration (CareerBeam, Focus2, Strong Interest Inventory, MBTI)
- Resume development and review
- Mock interviews and job/internship search strategies
- Graduate and professional school application support
- Proactive Student Outreach
- Weekly CDO emails detailing upcoming events, workshops, deadlines, and resources
- Email announcements for events/positions related to students' individualized interests/majors indicated in VCLink
- Regular engagement with student and alumnae/i followers on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Signature Events
- Freshmen Fridays
- Sophomore Explore
- Senior Week at the CDO
- Alumnae/i Networking Events across the U.S.
- Employer Engagement
- On- and off-campus recruiting events
- On-campus interviews and information sessions
- Alumnae/i networking and information sessions
How You Can Help Your Student
- Encourage early and regular engagement with a career counselor and the Career Development Office's services and events. We work with students at every stage, from exploring majors and careers to actively seeking post-graduate opportunities.
- Discuss and support the importance of multiple, meaningful summer experiences, beginning in the freshman year. These experiences allow students to explore interests, ask questions, create contacts, and make new discoveries about themselves and their career options.
- Observe and listen to your student's passions and strengths. Encourage them to explore!
- Encourage networking through the Vassar network and, if possible, your own. Studies find that nearly 75% of jobs are secured through networking. Guide your student on how to approach the initial outreach to any of your professional contacts and encourage them to begin networking early.
How You Can Help All Vassar Students
There are many ways you can make a difference in the lives of Vassar students and young alumnae/i:
Hire Vassar Talent
Connect your organization with the Career Development Office to start hiring Vassar talent. You can work with Susan Smith (Associate Director of Employer Relations) to create a customized recruiting plan for engaging Vassar students or you can post a job or internship directly to Vassar students and young alumnae/i. To post a job or internship to Vassar students and young alumnae/i for free, please click here.
Share Your Professional Experiences
Interested in speaking with students about your industry or organizaiton the next time you are on campus? Contact us to participate in a Career Chat to engage students and share your expertise, or consider participating in other CDO events to highlight what parents and families of Vassar students can offer to students.
To help us in other ways, or if you have any questions for the Career Development Office, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Life after Vassar
Interested in knowing what alumnae/i do upon graduation? Check out our Life After Vassar page to learn more.